TAN NUMBER WHAT IS TAN TAN or Tax Deduction and Collection account number is a 10 Digit alpha-numeric number required to be obtained by all persons who are responsible for deducting or collecting tax. WHO MUST APPLY FOR TAN All the persons who are required to deduct tax or collect tax on behalf of Income Tax department are required to apply for and obtain TAN. HOW TO APPLY FOR TAN Application for TAN number can be made online as well as offline. Procedure for the same is as follows- a) ONLINE PROCEDURE Procedure for online application of TAN number is as follows-
1. Applicant should open the following link(https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/form49B.html)
2. Select the category of the Deductor which is at the bottom of the page.
3. Select Assessing officer Code by using the following link(https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan2/servlet/TanAOSearch) Or by following link available there.
4. Fee for processing TAN application can be filled by the applicant by demand draft, Cheque, credit card, debit card or by net banking. Demand draft or cheque shall be in favor of NSDL-TIN.
5. Applicant should fill all the information required correctly.
6. After submitting the form, a confirmation screen will be displaced. The applicant may either edit or confirm the same.
7. On confirmation an acknowledgement will be displayed. Applicant shall save and print the same. 8. Signature / Left thumb impression should only be within the box provided in the acknowledgment. In case of applicants other than ‘Individuals’, the authorised signatory shall sign the acknowledgment and affix the appropriate seal or stamp. In case Left hand Thumb impression is used, it should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or Gazetted Officer, under official seal and stamp.
9. Acknowledgement duly signed, along with demand draft, if any, shall be sent to NSDL at National Securities Depository Limited 3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers, Near Baner Telephone Exchange Baner, Pune-411045.
10. Superscribe the envelope with ‘APPLICATION FOR TAN – Acknowledgment Number’ (e.g. ‘APPLICATION TAN – 88301020000244’) 11. Your acknowledgment and demand draft, if any, should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application b) OFFLINE PROCEDURE
1. Download form by navigating to following link http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DITTaxmann/IncomeTaxRules/pdf/49B.PDF
2. Fill the form in English in Block letters and in Black Pen Only.
3. Submit physical TAN Application to any TIN-Facilitation Center (TIN-FC) of NSDL Ø
OR CORRECTION IN TAN DATA
1. Application form should be used by the deductors in case they want a Change or Correction in data associated with their TAN.
2. Applicant should fill the form either physically or online by following the above mentioned procedure.
3. In case of physical filling form is available at the following link (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/download/tan/TAN_CRF_22052012.pdf). 4
. In case of online filling form is available at the following link(https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/ChangeRequest.html). STATUS TRACK The applicants may track the status of their TAN application using 14 digit unique Acknowledgment Number after three days of application using the status track facilityBy navigating to the following path https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/StatusTrack.html. Alternatively, applicant may call TIN Call Centre on 020 – 2721 8080 to enquire about the status of application. The status of the TAN application can also be tracked by sending an SMS – NSDLTAN